Friday, March 8, 2013

If you want something crated right...

...you have to crate it yourself. As the paraphrase goes.

In looking for a better crating option for shipping presses around, I finally gave up and designed my own crate.
In the past few years, I never found anything I liked that was reasonable, and ones I made from scrap were not as secure as I'd like and took up a ton of time in improvising every time.

So, with a little modeling in 3dsMax, and flattening to make a pattern for a Shopbot, which is a cool CNC router that's sort of like a big robot that cuts sheets of wood, I was able to get this design going.

Making crates this way, I can kick out a new, very solid crate in just one afternoon...less really. Plus, since its just a pattern for the machine, I can make perfect clones very quickly since all of the development work is done. It's almost like you're 'printing' them out.


The final product is very very sturdy, reasonably good looking and sport a sweet 'K' for Kelsey 'badge' on the top. Hey, why not, the robot is doing all the cutting and it looks cool.

I'll probably post the final product plans out there in case anyone needs something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment